Overview of Services
Setting Boundaries and Expectations
Frequently Asked Questions
Recipient Rights for Persons Served and Families
The following forms need to be completed and returned to ExpertCare for services to begin:
CMH Therapy Services Forms
Please return the documents in one of the following ways:
Click on the link below for more information on the services offered by ExpertCare
ExpertCare is the employer of the caregiver and healthcare professional working in your home and directs the staff in the job duties and work expectations. Because the person is working in your home, there are some boundaries and expectations you can set to make the experience better for everyone. Here are some resources for your reference.
Frequently Asked Questions from Caregivers:
1) What do I do after I complete an interview with the recipient family? Once you complete an interview, please call ExpertCare to follow up with the assigned recruiter.
2) What should I do if I haven’t heard from the recipient family about my work schedule? If you haven’t heard back from the recipient/recipient family about your schedule, please call the assigned recruiter at ExpertCare. The recruiter will call the family and then get back to you.
3) What if I do not want to return to the case I was working on? If you wish to end an assignment, please call ExpertCare and ask to speak with the assigned recruiter. The recruiter will then notify the recipient/recipient family.
4) What if I cannot work today? Who should I call? Please call ExpertCare as soon as you know you will be unable to work your scheduled hours. When you call, please notify the receptionist that you need to speak with a recruiter instead of leaving a voicemail. If you are calling after hours, please contact the on-call phone at (248) 229-3088.
5) How many hours am I allowed to work? You are only approved to work the hours within the recipient’s authorization budget. Each recipient’s budget is different. Please check with ExpertCare on how many hours you can work with your recipient.
6) What do I do if another service is being provided to the recipient during my shift? Contact ExpertCare right away. In most circumstances, only 1 service may be provided at a time. Any exceptions must be approved through ExpertCare.
7) Can I transport my recipient to medical appointments? No. Per the Michigan Medicaid Provider Manual, “transportation to and from medical appointments” is not approved as a CLS activity.
8) Who is able to authorize me to work? Only ExpertCare can authorize you to work. If you are uncertain if you are able to start working with a recipient or resume services, please contact ExpertCare and ask to speak with a recruiter.
9) What do I do if the Supports Coordinator or recipient’s parent/guardian tells me I can start working? Please call ExpertCare. Only ExpertCare can authorize you to begin working with a recipient after we verify that all the requirements and forms have been received into our office, allowing you to start work.
10) What do I do if the recipient’s parent/guardian wants me to care for other children in the home while I am working? This is not allowed. All services are to be provided 1-on-1. Please call ExpertCare if the parent/guardian makes a request for you to watch other children in the home.
11) Can I bring my child to work if the recipient’s parent/guardian says it is OK? No. Bringing others to your place of work violates Medicaid, HIPAA, and ExpertCare’s policies.
12) Can I run my own errands when working with the recipient? No. You should be working on goals as indicated in the recipient’s Individualized Plan of Services (IPOS).
13) Can I have my recipient meet my family and/or friends as part of working on a goal of socialization? No. If socialization is a goal in the IPOS, this may be accomplished out in the community and through developing relationships with age-appropriate individuals in the community.
14) Can I complete my online trainings while working with my recipient? No. Trainings must be completed when you are not working with your recipient.
15) Can I accept money or gifts from my recipient or recipient family? Caregivers cannot accept money or gifts from the recipient or family. Accepting money or gifts is a Recipient Rights violation.
16) What if I am not sure what activities to do in the community with my recipient? Please visit the events tab under “Resources” on the ExpertCare website or go to our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ECareMichigan
17) What do I do if an incident occurs when ExpertCare’s office is closed? Call the after-hours on-call phone at (248) 229-3088.
18) Do I have to have direct deposit? Can I receive paper checks? You have the opportunity to choose direct deposit into your existing checking or savings account or we can issue a Rapid Paycard to you for your deposits. We do not issue paper checks.
19) How do I reset my Prism HR password? On the main screen of the PRISM HR employee website, you can either select “forgot username?” or “forgot password?” for a username retrieval or password reset. ExpertCare does not have the ability or access to reset these passwords for you.
20) When will I receive my W-2? W-2s are ready for viewing through the Prism HR site and mailed to you by the last day of January of the new year.
21) What do I do if I didn’t receive my W2 or misplaced it? W2s are available electronically on the payroll portal, Prism HR. Under the Payroll category, select W2 reprint and select the year from the drop-down menu. If you need us to send you a W2 reprint, you must complete the W2 Reprint Request form before we can complete your request. Please contact HR to obtain the form. W2 reprints can ONLY be sent through mail once the Reprint Request form is received. We do not send W2 reprints via fax or email and we do not allow employees to pick up their W2s in the office.
22) How long before my new direct deposit information will go into effect? Generally, if the Direct Deposit information is received and entered by us before EOB Monday, it’ll go into effect that week. If the information is received after Monday, the direct deposit will go into effect the following week.
23) How do I request copies of pay stub requests and/or employment verifications? In your Prism HR account, you can view all previous pay stubs. In the event assistance is needed for pay stub printing or employment verifications, this must be submitted to us in writing. For the caregiver’s protection, we will not process these requests without a written request.
24) When will trainings be paid? Trainings are processed for payment within two weeks of taking your class or receiving your training documentation, the funds are deposited on Fridays.
25) What if I need to know how many hours are left in my recipient’s budget? Please call ExpertCare and speak to a member of our payroll team to check how many hours are left in your recipient’s budget.
26) Why can’t I see my payroll deposit on Thursday? ExpertCare payrolls are dated each Friday, so you will not see your deposit until Friday.
27) What do I do if I need help with my digital timesheet? Please contact ExpertCare and ask to speak with our HHA Specialist.
28) Can I work overtime? No, to protect the health and safety of you and the Recipient, overtime is not allowed. We believe this helps reduce caregiver burnout. Staff must work within the recipient’s authorized budget and not exceed forty hours per week, this includes paid training hours as well.
29) Will my trainings expire? All trainings have an expiration date. ExpertCare starts to let you know 2 months before the expiration date. In the event a training lapse, you will be put on hold and unable to work until the training in completed.
Frequently Asked Questions from Recipient/Recipient Families:
1) What should I ask the Caregiver during the interview? Some questions you could consider asking the Caregiver during an interview may be:
- What experience do you have providing care?
- What qualities do you have that make you a successful Caregiver?
- What is the most challenging thing you have experienced in this type of work?
- Why did you choose this field of work?
- What schedule are you able to work?
2) How many hours can my Caregiver work each week? Caregivers must remain within the authorized budgeted hours, as indicated in the Individual Plan of Service (IPOS). Please contact ExpertCare if you are uncertain of the weekly or monthly budget for the authorized hours.
3) What should I do if the digital timesheet my Caregiver gives me to sign is incorrect? Please do not sign any timesheet that indicates incorrect times. Please contact our office so we can investigate the matter further.
4) How do I know what the Caregiver should be working on with the recipient? Goals should be indicated in the Individual Plan of Service (IPOS) and documentation should reflect the goals the Caregiver worked on each day.
5) What should I do if I have concerns about the Caregiver and/or their reliability? Please contact ExpertCare at 248-643-8900 and speak with a recruiter as soon as possible.
6) Can services be put on hold if the authorization isn’t valid? ExpertCare must have a valid authorization and Individual Plan of Service (IPOS) in order to provide to services. Please be sure to keep in contact with your Support Coordinator about renewing your authorization and IPOS prior to them expiring. In the event the authorization expires, your services will need to be placed on hold until we receive the approved authorization and IPOS. ExpertCare will communicate when services can resume.
Frequently Asked Questions regarding Therapy Services:
1) What do I do if I need to cancel a therapy session? Call ExpertCare at 248-643-8900
2) What is the cancellation policy for therapy appointments? We require 24 -hour notice to cancel a scheduled appointment. If you have an emergency and need to cancel, please call the ExpertCare office at 248-643-8900 as soon as you know that you will not be able to make your scheduled appointment.
3) What insurance do you accept for therapy services? We accept Medicare, Medicaid and several 3rd party medical insurances.
4) What do I need in order to get therapy services? You will need an Rx from your physician with the diagnosis, and the type of therapy begin prescribed. We contract with Detroit Wayne Integrated Health Network (DWIHN) and Macomb County Community Mental Health (MCCMH). Your Supports Coordinator may send a referral for your services to ExpertCare as well.
5) If I have to cancel, can my therapist just come on a different day? Our therapists have a weekly schedule for all of the clients that they see. They cannot typically reschedule to another day; however check with ExpertCare at 248-643-8900 to see if there were any cancellations.
6) Do therapists still come to the home if school is canceled? The therapists will visit their scheduled clients unless the therapist determines it is unsafe for them to travel. If the therapist is not going to visit, you will receive a phone call from ExpertCare letting you know.